

Article 1980 of comp.lsi.cad:
Path: Intrepid!moe.ksu.ksu.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!linac!att!ucbvax!CORONA.AUE.COM!danj
>From: [email-masked] (Dan Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.lsi.cad
Subject: AuE MAGIC Announcement
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 92 21:59:50 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Lines: 83

********************************************************************************
                     AuE Magic 6.45 Release Announcement
********************************************************************************

   Magic is a layout database editor for integrated circuit designs. The program
was originally written at Berkeley and been enhanced by several organizations
since it's original release. Magic implements layout database structures using 
scalable design rules and offers unique layer handling operations to support 
scalable rules.

   Over the last three years, the Advanced Microelectronics (AuE) division 
of ITD has contracted with DARPA and other government agencies to provide 
support, updates, and enhancements to the original Magic layout tool. Our 
latest Magic release is based on the Magic 6.3 release made by DEC in September
of 1990.

   Magic runs on a number of platforms, including Sun SPARC, Sun3, MacII, 
DECstations and several other BSD and system V derivative platforms. X11 and 
Sunview window graphics drivers are also provided.

   The AuE Magic release provides hierarchical SPICE and LSIM netlist 
extractors not available in previous Magic releases. Previously, a flat SPICE 
netlist could be obtained using a program called "ext2spice". AuE provides a 
hierarchical SPICE netlister which provides a robust set of SPICE parameters
for every device, including transistor source/drain diffusion perimeters and 
areas. The extractor has also been modified to correctly account for the shared 
S/D regions on stacked devices.

   The AuE extractor supports LSIM netlists, an Hspice compatible netlist, 
and a SpiceIIG compatible netlist. The SpiceIIG format uses node numbers 
instead of node names. The AuE SPICE extractor also recognizes bipolar junction
transistors (BJTs) in several configurations. The previous Magic netlist 
extractor does not recognize BJT devices in any form.

   A new capacitance rule has been added to the base Magic extractor to 
facilitate the extraction of accurate dielectric capacitances. The previous 
verion of Magic did not handle coupling capacitances correctly and frequently 
inserted a substrate capacitor in addition to the correctly extracted coupling
capacitor.

   The AuE Magic release also includes an updated and enhanced technology file. 
Modifications include fixes to several MOSIS DRC rules which were previously 
improperly checked, modifications to the CIF writer to resolve software bugs, 
and updated capacitance and resistance values in the extraction sections of the
tech file. Special extraction sections for more commonly used processes have 
also been added.

Modifications since the last Magic release -

  - Moved from Magic4 to the DEC release Magic 6.3
  - The extractor now extracts junction capacitance geometry parameters.
    Explicit diodes for transistors are no longer used.
  - Fixed the Calma stream reader so that it can handle negative angles and
    angles > 360 degrees.
  - Added a BJT extractor to the SPICE netlist extractor.
  - Modified the SPICE extractor so that when multiple transistors share
    diffusions, the entire diffusion capacitance is lumped to one of the 
    transistors. The diffusion capacitance on the other transistors is 
    zeroed out. The previous versions of the extractor would incorrectly
    sum the capacitance at shared nodes.
  - Modified the extractor capacitance overlap rule to improve the extraction
    results for layer to layer coupling capacitances.
  - Resolved a problem with interactions between Magic's internal memory manager 
    and the Sun C library string manipulation functions. This problem caused 
    fatal crashes in Magic.

For information on how to order this version of Magic send an E-mail request to 
[email-masked] or send your request in writing to the address given below. We 
will start filling orders in mid October.

      _______
     /       |
====/        |==============================================================
|  /         |  Dan Johnson             Advanced Microelectronics          |
|  /         |  CAD Operations Manager  1080 River Oaks Drive              |
|  \         |  Fax: (601)932-7621      Suite A-250                        |
|   |Jackson |  Phone: (601)932-7620    Jackson, MS                        |
|   /   *    |  [email-masked]            39208                              |
===/         |==============================================================
  |______    |
        /    |
        \____|