Subject: Re: PLDshell/Intel ftp site

From: [email-masked] (David Van den Bout)
Date: 2 Sep 1994 09:58:17 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Richard Vireday <[email-masked]> wrote:
>PLDshell R3.1 is available in
>
>    ftp.intel.com:/pub/pld_fpga/software/dos/pldshell.zip
>
>
>However, the pld_fpga area will vanish on OCTOBER 1 when the
>deal is completed.   So, get what you need before then.
>
>--Richard Vireday
>Intel PLD & FPGA Business Unit

I should add something to Rich's comment.  I have recently spoken
to Altera concerning their support of the Intel FLEXlogic FPGAs and
PLDshell Plus programming environment once Altera takes over the
product line on October 1.  They have told me:

1) Altera will continue to provide the Intel FLEXlogic FPGAs for
	at least the next 3 years.  They are not going to abandon
	the chips as some have feared.
2) PLDshell will still be available for FREE.  Altera is not going
	to start charging for it.
3) Altera will incorporate the software for programming the Intel
	FLEXlogic FPGAs into their own MAX+PLUS II programming
	environment.  The date for that is sometime in 1995.

As for how Altera will distribute PLDshell after Oct 1, I'm not
exactly sure.  I am talking with them about allowing XESS to distribute
the software over the Internet.

In addition, the PLDasm examples for my FPGA book are now available
from the FTP site
			ftp.vnet.net

and the files are stored in /pub/xess under the name workout.tar.gz.
All the examples have been UNIX-tarred and GNU zipped, so if you
can't decode them let me know and I'll provide them in another format
such as PKZIP.  I want to publicly thank Intel and Rich Vireday for
providing a distribution site for these examples.

-- 

||  Dave Van den Bout  ||
||  Xess Corporation   ||