Subject: Re: Octtools/Linux port
From: [email-masked] (Paul Bunyk)
Date: 25 Oct 1994 02:16:20 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.lsi.cad

>>> "CA" == Cecil Aswell <[email-masked]> writes:

 CA> I have acquired the Octtools 5.2 distribution from Berkeley and
 CA> am in the process of trying to bring them up on a 486 Linux box.
 CA> If anyone can offer guidance on doing this gracefully I would
 CA> appreciate your inputs.  Please respond via e-mail to
 CA> [email-masked].

 CA> Thanks

 CA> Cecil Aswell

I did this a year ago, so I am not sure I can describe a process in
details, but I still can recall something. You start
a normal installation process (as described in the documentation), let
it create all necessary directories and break it before actual
compiling. Then you cd to each directory (in TOOL-LIST order) and run
the following  command (I called it octmake and placed it in
$OCTTOOLS/i486/bin):

make  CC="gcc -fwritable-strings -Dlinux -I/usr/include/bsd " TBL=tbl MAKE=make OCTTOOLS=/usr/octtools/i486 MAKEFILE=Makefile LINTCREATEFLAG=-C LINTEXTRAS= LDEXTRAS= XAPPLOC=/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults XINCLOC=-I/usr/X11/include XLIBLOC=-L/usr/X11/lib OPTFLAG= P= install  CPLUSPLUS=g++ 

Of course, some files will not compile smoothly and you will have to
modify the code, usually by changing lines 
#ifdef qqq
to 
#if defined(qqq) || defined(linux)

The important modification is to add to the end of 
/usr/octtools/common/src/Packages/port/port.h
the following:

/* 
 *      <unistd.h> is always usefull, the same with POSIX ...  ;-)
 */
#ifdef  linux
#define POSIX
#include<unistd.h>
#endif

And one more thing. Do not try to use bison/flex! The code of OCTTOOLS
is too yacc/lex specific and contains a lot of tricks. You would
better find a non-linux workstation and process .y and .l files with
usual yacc/lex.

BTW, Ptolemy contains a lot of stuff from OCTTOOLS and it has Linux
binary.

Good luck!

Paul

 

--
[    Paul Bunyk, Ph.D. student (and part-time system administrator)	]
[ paul@{pbunyk|rsfq1}.physics.sunysb.edu, [email-masked]	]
[     (516)632-8060, Physics, SUNY - Stony Brook, NY, 11794-3800	]