* I'm joining the University of Wyoming as a tenure-track assistant professor this fall.
- What's New
- 06/2017: Paper accepted to FAT/ML 2017.
- 04/2017: I'm a reviewer for Science China Information Sciences.
- 03/2017: Paper accepted to TKDE.
- 12/2016: I'm a reviewer for TKDE.
- 10/2016: Two papers accepted to BIBM 2016.
- 09/2016: I'm a recipient of the IAPR travel stipend.
- 07/2016: Two papers accepted to ICPR 2016.
- 07/2016: I'm a reviewer for Neurocomputing.
- 05/2016: I'm a recipient of the UAI scholarship.
- 05/2016: Paper accepted to UAI 2016.
- 03/2016: Two papers accepted to IJCNN 2016.
- 05/2015: Paper accepted to SIGKDD 2015.
- 02/2015: I'm a reviewer for Neural Computing and Applications.
- 09/2014: I'm a reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics.
- 08/2014: Paper accepted to CIKM 2014.
I am currently a Ph.D. candidate in the EECS department at KU, advised by Jun (Luke) Huan.
My research area is machine learning; my doctoral research focus on multi-view learning
and matrix recovery. During summer 2012, I was a student at the Data Science Summer Institute at UIUC.
I received my master degree from
Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications in China in 2011,
advised by Xiaoyuan Jing.
My master research focus on subspace learning for face recognition.
In 2008, I received my bachalor degree in electrical information engineering
from the same institute.
- Publication (selected)
- Discriminatory transfer
Chao Lan and Jun Huan
accepted to 4th Workshop on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency in Machine Learning (FAT/ML), 2017. (pdf coming soon)
- Learning social circles in ego-networks based on multi-view network structure [pdf]
Towards a theoretical understanding of negative transfer in collective matrix factorization [pdf]
Chao Lan*, Yuhao Yang*, Xiaoli Li, Bo Luo and Jun Huan
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 2017.
Chao Lan, Jianxin Wang and Jun Huan
32th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), 2016.
- Reducing the unlabeled sample complexity of semi-supervised multi-view learning [pdf]
Chao Lan and Jun Huan
21st ACM Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), 2015.
- Learning with positive and unknown features [pdf]
Chao Lan, Sai Nivedita Chandrasekaran and Jun Huan
10th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), 2016.
- A PAC bound for joint matrix completion based on partially collective matrix factorization [pdf]
Chao Lan, Xiaoli Li, Yujie Deng, Joseph St. Amand and Jun Huan
23rd International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2016.
- Co-regularized least square regression for multi-view multi-class classification [pdf]
Chao Lan, Yujie Deng, Xiaoli Li and Jun Huan
International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), 2016.
- Automatic social circle detection using multi-view clustering [pdf]
Yuhao Yang, Chao Lan, Xiaoli Li, Bo Luo and Jun Huan
23rd ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 2014.
- Optimal subset-division based discrimination and its kernelization
for face and palmprint recognition [pdf]
Xiaoyuan Jing, Sheng Li, David Zhang, Chao Lan and Jingyu Yang
Pattern Recognition, 45(10):3590-3602, 2012.
- Face feature extraction and recognition based on discriminant
subclass-center manifold preserving projection [pdf]
Xiaoyuan Jing, Chao Lan, David Zhang, Jingyu Yang, Min Li, Sheng Li and Songhao Zhu
Pattern Recognition Letters, 33(6):709-717, 2012.
- Color image canonical correlation analysis for face feature extraction and recognition [pdf]
Xiaoyuan Jing, Sheng Li, Chao Lan, David Zhang, Jingyu Yang and Qian Liu
Signal Processing, 91(8):2132-2140, 2011.
- Discriminant subclass-center manifold preserving projection for face feature extraction [pdf]
Chao Lan, Xiaoyuan Jing, David Zhang, Shiqiang Gao and Jingyu Yang
18th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), 2011.
- Holistic orthogonal analysis of discriminant transforms for color face recognition [pdf]
Xiaoyuan Jing, Qian Liu, Chao Lan, Jiangyue Man, Sheng Li and David Zhang
17th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), 2010.
- Technical Program Committee, International Conference on Data Analytics, 2016 - 2017.
- Reviewer, Science China Information Sciences, 2017.
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2016 - 2017.
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 2014 - 2016.
- Reviewer, Neurocomputing, 2016.
- Reviewer, Circuits and Systems, 2016 - 2017.
- Reviewer, Neural Computing and Applications, 2015.
- Reviewer, Journal of Computers & Electrical Engineering, 2014.
- Reviewer, International Journal of Computer Mathematics, 2012.
- Teaching Assistant, Digital System Design, University of Kansas, 2013 & 2015.
- Teaching Assistant, Discrete Structure, University of Kansas, 2014.
- UAI Scholarship, 2016.
- IAPR Travel Stipend, 2016.
- Robb Award, EECS KU, 2015.
- Data Science Summer Institute Scholarship, UIUC, 2012.
- First Class Prize, National Online Mathematical Contest in Modeling at China, 2010.
- Second Class Prize, National Postgraduate Mathematic Contest in Modeling at China, 2009 & 2010.
- Outstanding Graduate Student, Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications, 2010.
- First Class Scholarship, Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications, 2005.