- Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) research grant, National Science Foundation (NSF), USA, 2011 - 2013
- Industry grants for research and instructional infrastructure (hardware boards and software packages), Xilinx and Altera, USA, 2010 - 2015
- Kaman Award for Excellence in Research, The Catholic University of America (CUA), USA, 2011 - 2012
- The Louis P. Wagman Fellowship, The George Washington University (GWU), USA, 2009
- 2008 Service Award, The George Washington University (GWU), USA, 2008
- Synplicity Best Paper Award, the Designer Forum of the 3rd Southern Conference on Programmable Logic (SPL 2007), Argentina, 2007
- Best Paper, Reconfigurable Architecture Workshop (RAW 2004), USA, 2004, for publication at the International Journal for Embedded Systems (IJES), 2006
Dr. Esam El-Araby received his B.Sc. degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering and his M.Sc. (Highest Diploma) degree in Automatic Control and Computer Engineering from Assiut University, Egypt, in 1991, and 1997 respectively. He received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Engineering from the George Washington University (GWU), USA, in 2005, and 2010 respectively. Dr. El-Araby joined the University of Kansas (KU) as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 2015. He was the founder and director of the HEterogeneous and Biologically-inspired Architectures (HEBA) laboratory at the Catholic University of America (CUA) since 2010. Prior to that, he worked at the High Performance Computing Laboratory (HPCL) at GWU as well as the NSF Center for High-Performance Reconfigurable Computing (NSF-CHREC). His research work was mainly funded by organizations such as DoD, DARPA, NSF, and NASA and was published in national and international gatherings organized by IEEE, ACM, and NASA. His publication record includes two book chapters on High-Performance Reconfigurable Computing (HPRC) systems and remote sensing, 12 journal papers, and 48 conference papers.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Computer Engineering, The George Washington University (GWU), USA, 2010
- Master of Science (M.Sc.), Computer Engineering, The George Washington University (GWU), USA, 2005
- M.Sc. (Highest Diploma), Automatic Control and Computer Engineering, Assiut University, Egypt, 1997
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Assiut University, Egypt, 1991
Computer Architecture, Advanced Computer Architecture, Embedded Systems Programming, Computer Organization, Switching Circuits and Logic Design, Numerical Analysis and Optimization
- Computer Architecture
- High-Performance Heterogeneous and Reconfigurable Computing
- Biologically-Inspired and Neuromorphic Architectures
- Evolvable Hardware
- Hardware Acceleration
- Embedded Systems
- Performance Evaluation and Modeling
- Applications of HPC to Digital Signal/Image Processing and Remote Sensing
- "The Three P's of High-Performance Reconfigurable Computing", Virginia Tech. (VT-NVC), USA, September 2014.
- "High-Performance Reconfigurable Computing: Potential and Challenges", NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), USA, December 2013.
- "Virtualizing and Sharing Resources in Hardware Accelerated High-Performance Computing: An HPRC Perspective", NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), USA, June 2011.
Editorial and Reviewing Activities
- Panelist and reviewer for submissions of Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) proposals Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE), National Science Foundation (NSF), 2012.
- Panelist and reviewer for submissions of research proposals to Computer Systems Research (CSR) program, Division of Computer and Network Systems (CNS), Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE), National Science Foundation (NSF), 2011.
- Guest editor for International Journal of Reconfigurable Computing (Hindawi-IJRC)
- IEEE Transactions on Computers (IEEE-TC)
- IEEE Micro Magazine (IEEE-Micro)
- Journal of Embedded Hardware Design, Microprocessors and Microsystems (Elsevier-MICPRO)
- Parallel Computing Systems and Applications (Elsevier-PARCO)
- Journal of Systems Architecture (Elsevier-JSA)
- Remote Sensing of Environment (Elsevier-RSE)
- Journal of Real-Time Image Processing (Springer-JRTIP)
- Journal of System Architecture, JSA (Elsevier - The EUROMICRO Journal)
Selected Professional Activities
- Publications Chair, The 25th IEEE International Conference on Application-specific Systems, Architectures and Processors (ASAP 2014), June 2014
- Publications Chair, The 24th IEEE International Conference on Application-specific Systems, Architectures and Processors (ASAP 2013), June 2013
- Publications Chair, The 9th ACS/IEEE International Conference On Computer Systems And Applications (AICCSA 2011)
- Technical Program Committee (TPC), International Workshop on Dynamic Reconfigurable Network-on-Chip (DRNoC 2012)
- Technical Program Committee (TPC), International Conference on ReConFigurable Computing and FPGAs (ReConFig 2011)
- Technical Program Committee (TPC), Workshop on Multiprocessor Systems on (Programmable) Chips (MPSoC 2011)
- Technical Program Committee (TPC), VII Southern Programmable Logic Conference (SPL 2011)