I am an associate professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (EECS) and the Institute for Information Sciences (I2S, former ITTC) at the University of Kansas. I received my PhD from Kansas State University and was priviledged to be advised by Xinming (Simon) Ou and by Scott A. DeLoach.
My research interests are focused on cybersecurity, mainly from a systems perspective. I believe that viable cybersecurity solutions must leverage collective knowledge, be reliable, and consider practical aspects in an environment surrounded by uncertainty. For more information, please see my research page.
My CV should you be interested.
- Looking for motivated PhD students who are interested in cybersecurity research. If you are interested, please drop me a note!
- Service: General Chair for CANSec 2023
- Interview: Discussion with Inside Higher Ed
- Publication: Our paper was accepted in USENIX Security 2023
- Podcast: Interview for Cybersecurity Guide
- Award: Honorable Mention in NSA SoS Cybersecurity Paper Competition
- Service: Program committee member for SOUPS 2023
- News releases: Forbes, Bioengineering.org, KU Today
- Grant/Award: NSF CAREER Award: Automation and Metrics in SOCs
- Service: Program committee member for SOUPS 2022
- Service: Technical program committee member for MILCOM 2021
- Grant: NSA 2021 GenCyber Grant Program (Teacher Summer Camp 2022)
- Service: Program committee member for ACM CCS 2021
- Publications: Our papers were accepted in premier venues (see latest pubs)
- Service: Treasurer and Virtual Conference Task Force member for ACM CCS 2020
- Blog post: F5 blog post about our metrics for SOCs
- Award: I was named a Bellows Scholar in the School of Engineering at KU
- Grant: NSF EAGER award: Metrics for SOCs, collaborative project with Brad Fidler
- Fellowship: Dalton receives the Self Graduate Fellowship
- Grant: NSF CRII award: Structuraly-morphing IT systems — Moving Targets
- Fellowship: Kailani receives the Chancellor's Doctoral Fellowship
I am originally from Sibiu, Romania. Sibiu is a medieval town located in the southern part of Transylvania. In 2007 Sibiu was designated European Capital of Culture.