My research interests are focused on cybersecurity. Currently, I am working on moving target defenses and on analyzing DNS data. I am also involved in bringing anthropology into cybersecurity. Previous projects include malware analysis using fuzzy hashing and defense strategies against UDP-based DDoS attacks.
- eyeDNS: Monitoring a University Campus Network. Chandan Chowdhury, Dalton A. Hahn, Matthew R. French, Eugene Y. Vassermann, Pratyusa K. Manadhata, and Alexandru G. Bardas. In IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) – Communications and Information System Security Symposium (CISE), May 2018.
- MTD CBITS: Moving Target Defense for Cloud-Based IT Systems. Alexandru G. Bardas, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Xinming Ou, and Scott A. DeLoach. In 22nd European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), September 2017.
- Humans are dynamic. Our tools should be too. Innovations from the Anthropological Study of Security Operations Centers. Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Michael Wesch, Xinming Ou, John McHugh, Siva Raj Rajagopalan, and Alexandru G. Bardas. In IEEE Internet Computing Magazine, May/June 2017.
- Turning Contradictions into Innovations or: How We Learned to Stop Whining and Improve Security Operations. Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, John McHugh, Xinming Ou, Michael Wesch, Alexandru G. Bardas, and Siva Raj Rajagopalan. In 12th USENIX Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS), June 2016.
- Evaluating and Quantifying the Feasibility and Effectiveness of Whole IT System Moving Target Defenses. Alexandru G. Bardas. PhD dissertation, Kansas State University, May 2016.
- A Theory of Cyber Attacks - A Step Towards Analyzing MTD Systems . Rui Zhuang, Alexandru G. Bardas, Scott A. DeLoach, and Xinming Ou. In 2nd ACM Workshop on Moving Taget Defense (MTD), October 2015.
- Experimental Study of Fuzzy Hashing in Malware Clustering Analysis. Yuping Li, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Alexandru G. Bardas, Xinming Ou, Doina Caragea, Xin Hu, and Jiyong Jang. In 8th USENIX Workshop on Cyber Security Experimentation and Test (CSET), August 2015.
- A Human Capital Model for Mitigating Security Analyst Burnout. Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Alexandru G. Bardas, Jacob Case, Xinming Ou, Michael Wesch, John McHugh, and Siva Raj Rajagopalan. In 2015 USENIX Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS), July 2015. Distinguished Paper Award
- Compiling Abstract Specifications into Concrete Systems – Bringing Order to the Cloud. Ian Unruh, Alexandru G. Bardas, Rui Zhuang, Xinming Ou, and Scott A. DeLoach. In 28th USENIX Conference on Large Installation System Administration (LISA), November 2014.
- Investigating the Application of Moving Target Defenses to Network Security. Rui Zhuang, Su Zhang, Alexandru G. Bardas, Scott A. DeLoach, Xinming Ou, and Anoop Singhal. In 6th International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems (ISRCS), August 2013.
- Setting up and using a cyber security lab for education purposes. Alexandru G. Bardas and Xinming Ou. In Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges Vol 28 Issues 5, April 2013.
- Classification of UDP Traffic for DDoS Detection. Alexandru G. Bardas, Loai Zomlot, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Xinming Ou, S. Raj Rajagopalan, and Marc R. Eisenbarth. In 5th USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats (LEET), April 2012.
- Protecting Computing Assets from Resource Intensive Querying Attacks. Roland E. Dobbins, Alexandru G. Bardas, and Marc R. Eisenbarth. Patent Application US20150312272A1. October 29, 2015.
- Alexandru G. Bardas, Ian Unruh, Rui Zhuang, Xinming Ou, and Scott A. DeLoach. Compiling Abstract Specifications into Concrete Systems – Bringing Order to the Cloud. In USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), June 2014.
- Jason Jones, Marc R. Eisenbarth, Michael Barr, Alexandru G. Bardas. A Survey of Fuzzy Hashing Algorithms for Malware Clustering. In USENIX Security, August 2013.
- Alexandru G. Bardas, Loai Zomlot, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Xinming Ou, S. Raj Rajagopalan, and Marc R. Eisenbarth. Classification of UDP Traffic for DDoS Detection. In USENIX Security, August 2012.
Note: The documents contained in these pages are included to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a non-commercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or by other copyright holders, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. It is understood that all persons copying this information will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.