My research interests are mainly focused on cybersecurity. Currently, I am involved in a variety of research projects such as leveraging moving target defenses in various environments, developing metrics and more effective tools for security operation centers, embedding security in DevOps tools, exploring software updating ecosystems, and enhancing the cyber layer of the power grid. Previous projects include bringing anthropology into cybersecurity, analyzing DNS data, malware analysis using fuzzy hashing, and defense strategies against UDP-based DDoS attacks.
undo Cybersecurity Lab
I am fortunate to work with a number of bright and talented students:
- Dalton Hahn (PhD)
- Kailani Jones (PhD)
- Yousif Dafalla (PhD)
- Ron Andrews (MS)
- Alaa Daffalla (MS)
- eyeDNS: Monitoring a University Campus Network. Chandan Chowdhury, Dalton A. Hahn, Matthew R. French, Eugene Y. Vassermann, Pratyusa K. Manadhata, and Alexandru G. Bardas. In IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) – Communications and Information System Security Symposium (CISE), May 2018.
- MTD CBITS: Moving Target Defense for Cloud-Based IT Systems. Alexandru G. Bardas, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Xinming Ou, and Scott A. DeLoach. In 22nd European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), September 2017.
- Humans are dynamic. Our tools should be too. Innovations from the Anthropological Study of Security Operations Centers. Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Michael Wesch, Xinming Ou, John McHugh, Siva Raj Rajagopalan, and Alexandru G. Bardas. In IEEE Internet Computing Magazine, May/June 2017.
- Turning Contradictions into Innovations or: How We Learned to Stop Whining and Improve Security Operations. Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, John McHugh, Xinming Ou, Michael Wesch, Alexandru G. Bardas, and Siva Raj Rajagopalan. In 12th USENIX Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS), June 2016.
- Evaluating and Quantifying the Feasibility and Effectiveness of Whole IT System Moving Target Defenses. Alexandru G. Bardas. PhD dissertation, Kansas State University, May 2016.
- A Theory of Cyber Attacks - A Step Towards Analyzing MTD Systems . Rui Zhuang, Alexandru G. Bardas, Scott A. DeLoach, and Xinming Ou. In 2nd ACM Workshop on Moving Taget Defense (MTD), October 2015.
- Experimental Study of Fuzzy Hashing in Malware Clustering Analysis. Yuping Li, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Alexandru G. Bardas, Xinming Ou, Doina Caragea, Xin Hu, and Jiyong Jang. In 8th USENIX Workshop on Cyber Security Experimentation and Test (CSET), August 2015.
- A Human Capital Model for Mitigating Security Analyst Burnout. Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Alexandru G. Bardas, Jacob Case, Xinming Ou, Michael Wesch, John McHugh, and Siva Raj Rajagopalan. In 2015 USENIX Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS), July 2015. Distinguished Paper Award
- Compiling Abstract Specifications into Concrete Systems – Bringing Order to the Cloud. Ian Unruh, Alexandru G. Bardas, Rui Zhuang, Xinming Ou, and Scott A. DeLoach. In 28th USENIX Conference on Large Installation System Administration (LISA), November 2014.
- Investigating the Application of Moving Target Defenses to Network Security. Rui Zhuang, Su Zhang, Alexandru G. Bardas, Scott A. DeLoach, Xinming Ou, and Anoop Singhal. In 6th International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems (ISRCS), August 2013.
- Setting up and using a cyber security lab for education purposes. Alexandru G. Bardas and Xinming Ou. In Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges Vol 28 Issues 5, April 2013.
- Classification of UDP Traffic for DDoS Detection. Alexandru G. Bardas, Loai Zomlot, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Xinming Ou, S. Raj Rajagopalan, and Marc R. Eisenbarth. In 5th USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats (LEET), April 2012.
- Protecting Computing Assets from Resource Intensive Querying Attacks. Roland E. Dobbins, Alexandru G. Bardas, and Marc R. Eisenbarth. Patent Application US20150312272A1. October 29, 2015.
- Alexandru G. Bardas, Ian Unruh, Rui Zhuang, Xinming Ou, and Scott A. DeLoach. Compiling Abstract Specifications into Concrete Systems – Bringing Order to the Cloud. In USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), June 2014.
- Jason Jones, Marc R. Eisenbarth, Michael Barr, Alexandru G. Bardas. A Survey of Fuzzy Hashing Algorithms for Malware Clustering. In USENIX Security, August 2013.
- Alexandru G. Bardas, Loai Zomlot, Sathya Chandran Sundaramurthy, Xinming Ou, S. Raj Rajagopalan, and Marc R. Eisenbarth. Classification of UDP Traffic for DDoS Detection. In USENIX Security, August 2012.
- A Sociotechnical Metrics Framework for Network and Security Operations Centers
- Ph.D. Student Receives Self Graduate Fellowship
- EECS Professor Receives NSF Funding to Improve Cybersecurity through Morphing IT Systems - Moving Target Defense
- EECS Doctoral Student Awarded Chancellor's Doctoral Fellowship
- KU Students and Faculty Participate in Major IEEE Communications Conference in Kansas City
- Educators Learn about Best Practices for Teaching Cybersecurity Content
- KU Team Wins NSA Funding to Improve Security for Internet of Things With ‘Big-Thinking’ Research
Note: The documents contained in these pages are included to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a non-commercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or by other copyright holders, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. It is understood that all persons copying this information will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.